sunnuntaina, helmikuuta 17, 2008

Prejudgment defines the opinion

I´m somewhat concerned about the fact that most movie reviews and opinions of movie goers have little to do with the movie, but much more with their own opinions about what they would have wanted to see.

( At this point, I´m quite sure that I´ve written about this here earlier. )

This is something I´ve noticed by analyzing my own behavior and people around me. For example, If I wait for a movie for a long time, read what it is about and what kind of characters it has and so on, the probability for me not liking it rises. If I go to movies, wishing to see say like a romantic comedy, I want to see the classic figures in these kind of movies, not seeing what the movie offers me instead. If I go to see a film with a "clean table", I give the movie much more changes to give me emotional or intellectual experience. Whether I like it or not, which I then can decide after the movie.

This applies to all things, not only movies. There is no simple way to get rid of ones prejudgments or not having them to affect the experience. And it cannot be measured or predicted what the outcome would be if the person wouldn´t have known anything about the film just watched. But I guess the important thing would be to see that this affects the judgment. And more importantly the way one experiences life.

One of the most heart braking things I know is a person who plans and thinks a lot about what kind of things are going to happen and what they are like and how perfect is this and that when we go to this place...and so on. In small things in life, like going to holidays/trips/restaurants...
Cause life is not like that. Nothing is ever like you plan it, and that is a good thing.
The amount of stress and tension decreases considerably when a person can let go of these pre assumptions and exact visions of things beyond ones power. I am not talking about cynicism, like everything will suck anyway so lets just be happy that this sucks less. I´m talking about accepting and adjusting to situations, whit minimal demands for surroundings from your narrowed vision of the situation.

Getting back to movies and reviewing them, the lack of prejudgment comes more difficult whit every movie one sees, but I think that for example it could be a good thing that movie critics should not be allowed to know anything about the film they are about to see. The press shows would be just anonymous screenings during the week and critics would go there to see films randomly. This would not be practical, but interesting.


The saddest thing is that usually high hopes of things end up causing the most severe criticism. Sometimes much more severe than appropriate. Like I just saw a bunch of new Finnish films and hated almost every one of them.

Ei kommentteja: