lauantaina, elokuuta 23, 2008

The cowards way...or the smart way?

So, maybe I now ruined everything, or maybe not. If working with film has something to offer, did I neglect the chances of learning by using modern tool to help my editing? Let me elaborate on the matter.

Few days ago I looked the material and was in anguish because of its complexity. My teacher had said that complex dialogue scenes would be better to plan with a pen and paper before cutting the actual film. So I sat there, watching the raw material I had put together and wondered should I start to draw some storyboards or what.. Then my eyes moved on the table and I saw my mobile phone. Nothing happened yet but when I looked it a bit longer I realized that it has a "good quality" video camera in it.. There was not yet a thought in my mind.. I just slowly opened the videocam-opiton from my phone and pointed it to the screen of Steenbeck. At this point the idea formed in my head. "If I shoot with this the raw footage I´ve gathered and done preliminary editing on, I can do the ´demo´of the final edit using this mobilephone video material!" Isn´t that the same as doing it with storyboards?? Even better!? (in picture "the nail closet" a real life replacement for "bin" look down for more info)

So I shot some scenes and went home to edit them. The director found this really funny, but in my opinion it really gives me a big help. I can do the thinking as I would do it normally in editing, but then go there to cut the film, using the video as a reference. And it worked, today I cut one of the scenes I had edited with my laptop and it was easy and fun. So, do I now miss all the teachings that editing with steenbeck has to offer? I believe not. I just speed up the editing, cause I don´t edit the whole film like this. Only the few harder scenes. In my point of view it would be stupid not to use this method for help.


After all, in the movie Space odyssey 2001 the monkeys that learned to use tools, bones as a weapon, defeated the monkeys that did not understand to do this.
So it is idiocy not to use all the help that is available. And I still work with the film and I had to overcome some problems concerning the sound. And I did! Although I´m still not using 2 soundtracks, cause I find that hard and weird. I just do edits in different places in sound than in picture. Simple, but keeping the sync wasn´t easy at first.


So, I have only one week time to do this, then I have to start editing this tv-show. So after next week I have to do
this on the evenings. But now I feel that this will work, that maybe we can get this film edited someday :)These are the alternate "bins" where I collect the material which I´ve edited out..And this is what I am used to->
Or actually at first I use the nail closet, then I move the film to the bins...

Ei kommentteja: