tiistaina, elokuuta 19, 2008

Rough cut - version 0.0

So, today, after 2 weeks. I finally finished the first assembly of the movie. It is still quite primitive version, whit parts of many takes including the same action/dialogue. From this version I start to scrape the final film.
(in picture: the raw cut reels, duration: unknown)

I must say, I´ve gone through some variable emotions during these 2 weeks. The knowledge that the time wont be enough always pops to my head and if I am doing something difficult, the indignation starts to rise.

Sometimes it has been hard to control the rage that boils, but mostly I´ve been doing fine. I guess now I am at the point that every other day feels good and
every other bad.

I just mostly think "Why am I doing this?" . Today I thought about development in mechanics and all these electronics. And the over all importance of all these equipments. Like a cellphone is basically totally unnecessary, but when it was invented, suddenly everyone had one and now, it is hard for me, for example, to think about living with out it. So even though the human race managed with out a cell phone for all these years, was there a need for that kind of equipment in our species or culture? Cause if it had been a totally unimportant invention, there would not be so many of them in the world. Like for example, I don´t own a tamagochi or whattehell they were, or a palm-computer...
So, before digital editing was invented, people made good films. No doubt about that. But for me, a person who has never used even an analog video-editing system, just edited some stuff with 2 normal vcrs, but basically learned editing with a computer, it seems really, really odd to be editing with Steenbeck. I mean, yes it is cool to use the old-school method. But it feels so hard. It is so ponderous to do..And I still would like to question the fact that it is somehow more real way to do it or more hard-core. I think it is just more harder.

Cause although digital editing has made editing easier and more approachable to everyone, it still requires some skill to do it well, some understanding about things that not everyone seem to understand. Using steenbeck might be the old hand way to do things and it might include some heavy thinking that "the soft generation" today can not do, but I claim that if you find an old editor who has never used Final Cut pro, he might find it quite hard. It is only a question about what have you become accustomed to. Nothing else. Editing basically stays the same.
So at this point, my claim is that I´ll just learn to use steenbeck, but that is all I am going to learn and what we achieve with this? Well, I just hope that the movie will become as good as it would have been If i´ve edited it the normal way. And I possible will be soo tired after all this.

And still, I feel that using digital editing, lets you sculpt the material in a really special way, compared to steenbeck-editing..

but I think we still sometimes miss the romanticism there was in meeting a person, and not being able to keep in touch with him/her all the time with multiple equipments (like facebook, cellphone, messenger...). So is there something in not using the latest inventions of everything? Or is it just stupidity. Sometimes maybe, not all the time.

Ei kommentteja: