torstaina, elokuuta 07, 2008

Proceeding with syncing sound with images

On Tuesday I worked 10 hours, on Wednesday 11 hours and today, Thursday 12 hours. There seems to be too few hours in a day. Today I left work just because I counted that I won´t get enough rest for tomorrow, if I don´t leave now.
(in picture: film cutter )

My working tempo has improved and if everything goes well I have all the scenes in sync by tomorrow evening. But if everything doesn´t go well...Like today at around 7:30 p.m when I had been working already over 11 hours. I was going to ad one shot to a reel, when I noticed that almost the whole reel, except few of the last shots are out of sync about 2 frames. I started to fix this, and when I was nearly finished, I realized that I had not gone from the beginning to end fixing the mis-sync, but from end to beginning, rewinding, and fixing the sync. This was a great mistake. The problem would have been fixed by adding 2 frames to the beginning of the reel, but now I added 2 frames to 10 different shots
in a reel, so the first shot that I fixed was now something like 18frames out of sync. I realized this when I was nearly finished, and started to fix it again, removing all the other "fixes"besides the first one...how foolish of me.

But this is something that at least I need to work on: Linearity. Computer editing is non-linear. And it truly is that. I sometimes hear that in comparison to Steenbeck editing, digital editing has different "direction" in editing than in Steenbeck. People sometimes speak about editing "on the right side" on the computer, or "on the left side" on Steenbeck. Yes, on Steenbeck you do the editing on the left side of the table, but on a computer, there is no sides. You can edit however you want. Not on the right or the left, but on both or in the middle or up and down if you will. So..Nonlinear editing has made it difficult for me to always understand that things are linear.. but of course this is not a major problem.Here you can see some film cases on the upper shelf. Below that you can see (from the right) some empty film, for the beginning of the reels or where there is no image but it is needed, some empty sound (the blue thing) for the same purpose. Some cleaning liquid for the sound sensors, and some sound reels for syncing.

I have some anecdotes to tell, as soon as I get some time to write here properly. Now some sleep.

Ei kommentteja: